Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Art Deco Summer in New York


I cannot wrap around my head that summertime will soon be here. The entire year seems like it has been going in warp speed let alone the seasons! 

That means that like many of you, I have been looking into what activities I would want to do with my family or on the vintage front. To my surprise it looks like the spring and summer will be a very Art Deco one indeed! 

This month the fourth film version of The Great Gatsby will be coming out. I love Baz Luhrmann's work. I don't know if I will like all the flash that this film seems to have but it seems to attempt to tell as full of a story about Gatsby and Daisy that has ever been placed on film. If you would like to read more about all the film versions, check out this fabulous article here.
The Great Gatsby Film
 Not only is the film finally coming out but Michael Arenella and his Dreamland Orchestra are hosted The 8th Annual Jazz Age Lawn Party this June and August at Governors Island in New York. I went last year in August and knew I had to go back. I just scored my tickets and I am bringing the entire family with me! Now let the outfit searching begin!
8th Annual Jazz Age Lawn Party
 Another fantastic thing I found recently is called the Great Gatsby Boat Tour. How neat does that sound?!!! So I clicked on the link and found out that the tour is located in Long Island (not far from where I live). F. Scott Fitzgerald lived in LI for a few years as did many tycoons during the 1920's and 1930's. It is a 90 minute tour and it is music to my ears. I just think of the breeze on my face and all the beautiful houses we will get to see. My hubby is on board and cannot wait to do this together. We decided this would be a wonderful date day for us and are already looking at days in June when we can make our reservations (its just $20 per adult!).
Great Gatsby Boat Tour
So, if you live in or around New York or are traveling here in the summer-these two events I mentioned may be something you can check out. For those who many not be here, do not fret-I promise I will take loads of photos and share with you the things I have seen.

And you know what this means ladies, right? I have to find the perfect 1930's dresses for these events! Luckily-I have found two already-just need one more and a few accessories. Gahhh-I'm so excited!

Do you love the 1920's/1930's? What do you enjoy about those decades? Hey Doll! Vintage Magazine is coming out with an Art Deco issue-we hope you tune in and enjoy it. It will come out this Saturday (May 11th).

xox

7 comments:

  1. What a bevy of fantastic 20s/30s themed events you have in your area! I can't wait to hear more about this year's Jazz Age party. The photos that emerge after it each year always leave me in awe of the sublime early 20th century ensembles most of the party goers sport (and I'm sure your's this year will do just the same).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait either-thank you Jessica!!! xox

      Delete
  2. I love a good reason to shop! LOL! This looks spectacular. I can't wait to see the blog posts from this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are planning with friends to see Gatsby next week!
    The movie will open our most famous festival in Cannes!!!
    I'm not a huge fan of the 20's-30's, I don't like fashion of the 20's but I like late 30's but I think it doesn't fit my curvy body!
    This tour must be really nice to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is this post! I realize that I was in the middle of typing a response this morning and got distracted by the kids ready and here it is now evening:)) I hope you are able to take the boat cruise, I'd love to do something like this. I'll have to put it on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun at the jazz party - sounds awesome! I can't wait for Gatsby, but I am a huge Baz fan. I am also super excited for the next hey doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I've been wanting to go to that party for ages and ages!! I'm so jealous and can't wait to see pictures! =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...