Friday, January 4, 2013

Guess Whose Joining The Knitting Club???


Sometimes I get nervous about trying new things-do you? I find it especially when it comes to new things that require time and focus. When you have three children under five years old one thing you defiantly do not have a lot of is time and focus because all your time/focus is dedicated to them.

I knew some time ago I would  have to give some things a go and find a way to meet those challenges. One of my personal 1940's housewife goals was to learn how to either knit or crochet or both. Although my hands do have their weaknesses, I figured if I paced myself well then perhaps it could end up being a good form of exercise.

I took my first class on December 28th at a lovely craft shop called Cook's Arts & Crafts Shop. My instructor named Michelle was absolutely fabulous to work with. I knew what color I was going to choose if I were asked. So when Michelle asked me I immediately said "Tardis blue!!". For those that may not be aware, I am a huge Doctor Who fan. In that very moment I met my first NY Doctor Who fan and I thought that was just so cool!

We spent the next hour and a half talking about the show and I learned the knit and purl stitch. My instructor was just so patient and thorough. She is exactly the kind of instructor I needed! I had moments where my fingers were aching or I needed a break but she was wonderful to me. Not many instructors have that sort of patience. But I did pretty okay with my first class-yeah! Now it's all about practice!

This is my first project:

I am trying to knit for at least 30 minutes a day if my babies give me a wee break. Let's see how it goes because I have big plans for these hands of mine!! Hehe I have a 1940's snood and a turban pattern that I am longing to work on but baby steps first. I hope to book another class with my instructor to work on those projects because I am still learning about needles, yarn, measurements, and all that jazz. 

I look forward to finishing my first project and will keep practicing. I know many of you knit and I love seeing all of your creations-you all inspire me so much! Learning how to knit is a huge deal for me and I am so happy to be able to share this process with you!

Here's to creating lots of wonderful things in the New Year!!

xox

9 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Knitting is so much fun, even if it requires a LOT of time and effort! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so, so fabulously exciting! I'm not a knitter myself, but I adore the look of knitted items and really admire those who master this timeless skill (and art form!). How fantastic to start the new year off with a new hobby and passion!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sean and Jessica! Yes it does take time but I am looking fwd to really getting the hang of it hehehe Thank you both! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bunny! I'm more of a reader than a commenter, but I had to comment on this post. First and foremost, welcome to the knitting club! :) AWESOME! My Mom knits, my sister crochets ... and I've been knitting for years without knowing how to read patterns or measure (until recently). Here are some things that I've learned: 1. forgive yourself completely. You're going to drop stitches, measure wrong, etc. It's only yarn -- unravel the stitches and start over. 2. Remember to keep count of your stitches as you go along. In the past, I would finish a scarf with one or two stitches less than what I started, obviously I dropped a stitch somewhere. Count your stitches every few rows. 3. Always give yourself multiple breaks or your fingers and shoulders WILL hate you in the morning. 4. HAVE FUN! Holy smokes! Knitting is so much fun!!! I love watching what I'm making "grow" on my lap! And bonus, it keeps you warm during the cold winter months. :) Good luck darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh golly thank you so much for all of those great tips and encouragement-I have redone my scarf 3x times already recasting heheh bc I made mistakes. I am enjoying it though which is what matters right! Thank you again!! xox

      Delete
  5. Oh how fun! I can't wait to see the progress! Congratulations on your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you hun! Yeahhhhh hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you found such a patient instructor who you can relate to! While I don't knit myself, I definitely admire those who do and all the work they put into their projects. Many happy wishes for the new year and your new hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, great blue color, electric.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...