Thursday, January 10, 2013

The 1940's or 1950's: Which to Choose?


Many of you are on varying levels when it comes to vintage; a beginner, not-quite beginner, somewhere in the middle, close to expert...With that said, I know many of you have been pondering where you are at in your vintage journeys and where you want to take it or if you will just stop altogether.

Although I have been surrounded with vintage and had a passion for it since childhood, it was only in my 30's did I finally take the leap into the unknown world of vintage, especially when it came to clothing. I have never, ever been a fashionista. It may be because I was raised by a man and partially raised by an old lady (sorry dad and grandma) but really how was I supposed to be a fashionable girl? My father was born in the 1940's and my grandma in the 1920's so I was surround with old school etiquette and ways of being. I so desperately wanted to dress like Jem from the Holograms, with pink wild hair and stars painted on my face, but ugh I was lucky if dad let me put chap stick on!!

So, I admit it, I was clueless and I will admit some more, I am still somewhat clueless. But the cool thing about being a part of the vintage world is that I have been actually been working out my fashionista muscles. Its exciting. I know how to match because I inclined to match-even my children match and sometimes with each other (I just have to while I can hehe) but what I am not always good at is coordinating and finding what looks best on me and what flatters me the best.

After all three pregnancies  I was left with about 8 pounds over the weight I was when I started having them-not bad right? BUT my measurements sure changed. I went from a 34B to a 38C and a size 8 in jeans to a size 12 and that's mostly because my rear just got bigger and all the glorious skin left over from my babies. It is what it is. I am also in my 30's and whole lot closer to 40 than ever before so my body has changed and will continue to do so-its all good.

Where does that leave me? Jessica from Chronically Vintage just wrote an outstanding (as they usually are!) post called Thoughts on my wardrobe for the year ahead. There isn't a day that I am not inspired by her! She of course got me thinking about something I have had in the back of my mind for a while.

Where am I taking myself with this vintage life? Well, I have a new and improved blog and name and I am also collaborating with Brittany from Va-Voom Vintage on an emagazine called Hey Doll Vintage Magazine. Those two things alone are huge! But where am I taking my look, my style, and my wardrobe?

I started pondering...should I stay with the 1940's look and if so what part of the 1940's? Or should I go with the 1950's. Here are a few photos taken recently-one with a 1940's dress and one with a 1950's dress. What do you think?
Excuse the hair-I did a simple and fast hot rollers set and just brushed it out a little. I couldn't fuss too much because the darn sun was starting to go down and I needed some pics hehe

Now, 1950's clothing is better suited for my shape which includes a lot of rear (LOL) but here is the thing....I am passionate about the 1940's! I simple adore the 1950's but my heart isn't as into it as it is for others. The dresses are amazing though and as of right now I have three other 1950's frocks. So, does one go with what looks best or what feels best or the decade they are most passionate about?

I am at the stage in my vintage journey where I am ready to take myself to the next level. I want to define my look, wear clothes best suited for my complexion (blues, pinks, reds, purples etc), and wear outfits that make me look the best not just feel the best-kwim? I wonder if there are 1940's dresses that give out more like 1950's one-perhaps the late part of the 1940's.

Much to ponder as I am sure you all are too, especially those who have yet to define their vintage look. It's such a process isn't it? I do feel like I am almost getting there, which excites me very much. I am understanding my body better and learning more about the cut and shape of clothing and so many things that I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever learn or be interested in learning!

So, what are your thoughts on this subject? Any advice as I draw closer to defining my vintage style??

xox

PS When you can check out Haute Rockabilly Fashionista's great snood giveaway!!!

31 comments:

  1. I think you look fab in both eras!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to choose!!!! Wear what you like!
    I'm about your shape and even worst... 40-32-43! and I wear 40's and 50's style, my favorite era is 1945-1955 but the style can be really different!
    What makes me fall in love with the 50's is full skirts, but 40's fabrics are often amazing!
    So you don't have to chose one if you feel good with both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Laurence here! Don't ever limit yourself when it comes to fashion...or anything actually! The good thing about 40's and 50's styles is that you can mix and match. If you feel good that's what matters!

      Delete
    2. Laurence - I have the same exact measurements! It's so tough to find good stuff that is from our favourite eras; but when I do, I fight like all heck to have it! LOL. You have really found some wonderful items over there in Europe - I may need to book a trip someday just to go scoping out for vintage! :-)

      -Holly

      Delete
    3. Thank you Laurence, Brittany, and Holly! You all are so sweet! And Laurence my measurements are almost exactly the same too! I think you need to take me shopping with you heheh!! xox

      Delete
  3. I love this post and agree with Laurance! Sometimes I'm in the mood to wear 50s dresses, cardigans, and scatter pins to work every day...and sometimes I'm in jeans and cowboy boots for a month. I also love to see how current fashion constantly reverts back to certain eras. This year the 80's-early 90's were huge sellers in my etsy shop. I actually found myself buying dresses at the thrift store that I owned in high school ;). And, even better, many of these pieces were "80's does 40's" type things...so wear what you love Bunny, it all comes full circle! xoxo, erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I def see what you mean Erica! Thank you for your support and kind words!! xox

      Delete
  4. Heah there girl, I know we've talked about this before I'm the same, I flip from 40's to 50's all the time. I do like the cut and color of the 50's dress on you more so than the dark dress, but that's probably because you look really good in brighter colors and they photograph well. Seriously, right now, I'm not feeling very vintage, I don't know if it's the weather or what but I've been dressing pretty contemporary right now. I think us vintage loving folk just love history in general so if you dress 40's one day and 50's the next your going to look great, because you rock mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T! I can def see how one can alternate from the 40s-50s easily. I would love to know what the styles were for the late 40s and early 50s-that may be more my thing. Muah!

      Delete
    2. Let me look into for you, I have a ton of vintage catalogs from the late 40's to 50's. I believe the late 40's started to see the lower hemline and A-line silhouette.

      Delete
  5. I also agree with Laurence, you don't have to narrow yourself down! Here's the thing, it can be difficult enough finding vintage clothing that fits and flatters you (and it will only get more difficult as those eras get further away from us). You may have a really difficult time if you want to get very specific. Plus then what to do when you see something you really like, but it's from a different era? We're lucky that we live when we do because we have the freedom to select the best things we love about vintage without it being "out of style" (as society would tell us we're all out of style anyway, lol). You may find you primarily want to wear 40s, but sometimes fit in a bit of 50s, or vice versa. And there's no rules that you can't mix and match either if you'd like, there are no vintage police. Defining your vintage look doesn't mean you have to rule out things you love just to pick an era for the sake of picking an era. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Tasha it is difficult for me to find nice vintage esp with my post babies body-I love the 30s-70s, I think I just would love to really make one decade my own kwim? Thank you for you advice and wisdom! xox

      Delete
  6. I love most clothing from the 30's, 40's and 50's as well...so I have developed a sort of routine as the seasons change. When spring starts, I center my wardrobe more towards late 40's and 50's styles, especially in the summer time...when I pretty much just wear 50's dresses that are light and airy. But, once fall hits, I start switching out my outfits so they are geared more towards early 40's and especially 30's styles in the winter. Kind of crazy, but I find it works since I always like change and variety! Plus it helps with avoiding unnecessary taking up of space in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat ruby! I would love to do that! Switching as the seasons change sounds like so much fun plus one doesnt get tired or bored with a specific era. Love it! Thank you for sharing!! xox

      Delete
  7. I am one of those that struggles with this as well. I love everything from the 30s to early 60s and its not that I really want to pick a decade and stick with it, I more want to figure out which style flatters my figure the best. I seem to always be drawn to those wonderful circle skirts of the 50s but realistically I know they dont always look the best on me because I am larger in the waistline and I feel like they make me look even bigger. I have better luck finding things that fit me from the 40s but that doesnt necessarily mean I look the best in them. Its all very frustrating and confusing at times, especially if you dont have the item at hand to try on to know what you look like in it. So, I totally get where you are coming from. But, I also agree with the other ladies that you dont have to choose just one era. Go with what you love, no matter the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for getting me hun! It can be very fustrating bc you cant really try on a lot of pieces esp if like me the thrifting in NY is horrible. I have been inspired to do more research on the eras a little more and I am thinking looking into pre-war, wartime, postwar, and early 50s and see how the styles were. Whatever I find I will gladly share!!! xox

      Delete
  8. I have had a similiar dilemma - should I choose 40s or 50s? And I've chosen both! :)You don't have to limit yourself to a one era - you should feel good in what you wear and this is what's the most important :)
    And don't worry about your measurments - I'm 40-31-44, wear 40s and 50s style and look fab - or at least I think I look fab :D

    xoxo,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Monika! Heheh we have very similar measurements too-I am 40-32-41. I would love to see the outfits you wear! You def have to make a post on that heheh xox

      Delete
  9. I agree with a lot of the other posters. Why choose? You look fabulous in both eras:)) I think both red and blue are your colors. Lovely:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joanna-red and blue are my fave by far!!!! xox

      Delete
  10. Both dresses look amazing on you, so why limit yourself? I have dresses and looks that range all over from the 1930's to the mid 1960's. Just go with what you want and what makes you happy! You can be WWII one day, and Eames era atomic the next. I even mix elements sometimes because it can just look amazing. Live and do for you - don't confine yourself!

    -Holly

    Veronica Vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks mama! You're right of course! And I wish I had a tiny waist-its all about posing and great spanx heheh Muah!

      Delete
  11. Oh and BTW, might I add how fabulous your figure looks in those dresses - such a tiny waist! Rather jealous over here, missy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think part of the fun in dressing vintage is the ability to have these eras garments laid out before you, and to be able to mix and match the parts that you love the most and that suit you the best! If something fits and is flattering and makes you feel 100% amazing -- no matter what year it's from -- it's gotta be yours! You can pull from so many resources and years....I never bother to check if my hat, dress, purse and jewelry match eras....if it looks good, do it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that hun-laying it out before me! I def am on my way to figuring all of this out-I can feel it hehe I love your advice-thank you so much! xox

      Delete
  13. You look great in either one! That's what's great about being in the modern world and wearing vintage..... You have the option to look back and choose only your favorites! I love the late 30s- early 40s, but right now I can't find/afford much of it, so a lot of times I'll use 50s pieces (and newer) to get a 40s type of look. Or.... as often occurs.... sometimes I just like a look that mixes decades like crazy. I'll wear my 20s mary janes with a 60s pencil skirt and an Edwardian blouse. Because I can! I like it, so it works!
    There really aren't any rules about vintage clothes. We vintage peeps tend to pick our favorite time periods.... but it's not a hard and fast rule! There aren't any vintage police, so you can do what you want! Plus, let's be real. Most people, being non-vintage wearers, can't tell the difference between many of the decades, haha. Dress to please yourself and communicate who you are to the world, not to be museum-accurate! It's a lot more fun (I think) that way, because you have to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bunny you look amazing in both styles. I would go with what ever makes you confident and happy. Don't limit yourself to one decade if you love 2. You go with what makes you happy and not to worry what others are thinking. I am with you on this I am in love with the 40's and 50's so I have a mixture of the 2 decades.

    I do agree with all the other bloggers. Just make sure you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personally, you should go where you passion is. If you're passion is the 40s, then go for it!! You look stunning in 1940s. It just looks like you, I hope that makes sense, LOL! I know what you mean about 'defining' your look. I adore the 1940s, it's my fave fashion year. But I adore so many other years and decades of fashion too that I don't think I could just stick to one look. Says the chick with a pixie cut and wants to rock a 40s frock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Bunny, I'm incredibly touched to be included as part of this heartfelt, wonderful post. Thank you dearly, my sweet friend. I'm of the firm opinion that one does not have to dedicate themselves solely to a single decade (unless they want to). I adore the fashions of the 1940s and 50s with equal measure and have filled my wardrobe - from dresses to hats to underpinnings - with garments and accessories from each. I sometimes blend pieces from both decades in the same outfit (especially since some - such as a classic black pencil skirt can easily work for either), but generally try to steer my look more towards one or the other, just depending on my mood, where I'm going, the weather, etc. If you love both (plus any others) as well, I wholeheartedly encourage you to do as I did and fill your wardrobe, over time, with pieces from both the 1940s and 50s, that way you never have to decide between one or the other. :)


    Thank you again so very much, beautiful lady,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you look beautiful in all of the pictures. Why do you feel need to pick an era and stick to it? Just wear what you feel like that day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...