Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NY HIstorical Society: WWII & NYC Exhibit

To celebrate my birthday this year, my darling husband took me to an incredible event that I have been wanting to go to since it came out! At the New-York Historical Society we attended the WWII & NYC Exhibit. Boy, it was nice to learn more about WWII but in the perspective of a New Yorker. Honestly, it made me wish New York was like that now without the sexism and racism of course. I mean we have that today also but not as in your face as it was in the 40's.

The exhibit is on the first floor of the museum and and walk through section to section. I wish I could  have taken photos but alas they did not allow that. Goodness, it wasn't like things were out in the open-they were all in display cases-boo to that. Although I enjoyed the personal touches they included like a letter from Albert Einstein to the President explaining why they had to procede with creating the atom bomb because the Germans were already working on that technology. He believed it could end the war-he was right.
I also learned what a huge influence the African-American community had and how important they were to the war effort. I believe for the first time ever America and New York for that matter, opened their eyes and took notice that no matter a person's gender or race, they could indeed play a vital role in the war. 

Of course many did not believe that woman could do a man's job and boy did we show them that they were wrong. Many wives and mothers took charge of the Home Front by canning, growing food in their victory gardens, volunteering, etc while many single women worked in factories or joined military groups such as the W.A.V.E.S.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me but many people did not noticed that I was all dressed up for the event. That's New York for you. Such a shame too because I believe the city has really lost its grip on art and self-expression. I did speak to a wonderful older woman who was a child during WWII and also an older gentleman. They were both so lovely to speak to and complimented me on my look-yeah! I was so grateful that I got a chance to speak to someone about my passion in person.

Much of the exhibit showed us how New York responded to the war and how it worked to unite and gather people into basically getting rid of Hitler. What I was surprised to learn was of the rallies that were held in Madison Square Garden-it was just amazing to see photos of that! 

After the exhibit I hit the gift shop! I was VERY excited about that, mainly because I am what I call a vintage nerd so yeah I was in book and magnet heaven hehe
I scored some major goodies! I got a WWII Projects Book (will share more in another post), WWII  NYC book (all about the exhibit), a replica fan (I found an original on ebay!), a magnet and pin, and lastly a Rosie the Riveter tin box! Gahhhhh neat haul I made huh!!! My husband's gift to me was my day out/lunch and my dad's gift to me was my museum goodies. What a neat birthday! It really has been even though it's technically on the 24th hehe So many amazing things have happened to me this past month. One amazing thing in particular I long to share with you but I have to wait a wee bit more to do so, but truly I cannot wait!
I changed twice for the day because like I have said before, I do not like the cold. Actually I don't like extreme weather-not too hot and not too cold LOL I wore a 1970's ala 1940's "V is for Victory" styled patriotic dress gifted to me by my Swing Sister. With that I paired it up with some beaded red, white, and blue clip on earrings, a nautical themed brooch, and a beaded while necklace. I later changed into my vintage jeans and paired that up with one of my favorite brooches, an authentic "V is for Victory" silver brooch. I also wore these amazing navy button earrings which I will talk about a wee bit more in tomorrow's post.

I hope everyone's week has been lovely so far!! xox

18 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I love both your outfits! You look fabulous! The dress is so you that I can't believe it:) I can see you had a great day too! Too bad they wouldn't let you take pictures inside. It looked like you were actually in the jeep with Ike how funny! It's nice to know that you learned some history about NYC and the war too! It sounds like the exhibit was not too busy?

    Happy Birthday Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna! I forgot to mention on my post how fun it was to get dressed up! Its becoming more and more fun for me and hubby is liking it too. I have to say also he is such a great sport. I am taking him to all these events and he just supports the heck out of me :) Hahah glad it looks like I am in the jeep with Ike heheh xox

      Delete
  2. Oh man I gotta go to that, even if it is by myself! I remember you telling me about it. I'm currently reading that book I told you about, "Over Here!", which is all about NYC in WWII really in depth, and OMG it is so fascinating some of the things I have learned so far! It's the best, an of course reading it and where they mention places I'm like, "I know exactly where that is!" and all of that LOL.

    And you look mighty fabulous, my dear - those patriotic colours look stunning on you :-)

    -Holly

    Veronica Vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my Amazon cart Holly-I cannot wait to check it out! You def have to go! Use your student id too! Its not a long exhibit but def worth going!! Thankfully its til May! I def want to go to a friday night film events that they have. I missed a few that I really wanted to go to buy oh well hehe Thank you for the compliments sweets! xox

      Delete
  3. Dear Bunny, both of these outfits are so marvelous! I love that you had two outfits for one outing, that's something I could see myself doing as well. I really, really love your 70s does 40s dress and the accessories your partnered with it. I can tell you adore it, too, happiness is just beaming from your face in these shots.

    Happiest birthday wishes, darling lady!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you really have to watch Swing Shift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about women working in factories during WW II!

      Delete
  5. Oh, your dress is sooo lovely and it perfectly suits you!
    And the exhibit seems very interesting! I wish I would see it (but, unfortunately, New York is too far away...) - cuz I'm really curious how did the WW2 look from the American point of view.

    Best B-day wishes! <3
    xoxo,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know it is-but I am happy to share some of it with you! I am curious to see the European point of view myself although my best friend (who is English) shares a bit with me-I long to visit France and Germany and really get my mind around all of this. Thank you sweets for the bday wishes!! xox

      Delete
  6. How amazing that must have been. Ah, brings me back to the WWII reenactment called Victory Days. I never felt more at home in this world than when I was there. All 1940s all the time!!! New Yorkers are so lucky with all these awesome museums and exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds so neat Sean! Yeah I have to really dig for these exhibits but I am ready to social and do some vintagey events but they dont have any here...boo! xox

      Delete
  7. What an awesome birthday date! I wish there were things to do like that around here. And I love both of your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH!!! That looks like it was so much fun! I have to look it up to see if I can catch it before it leaves! Great Birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great, I wish I still lived in New York! You looked fabulous, the red, white & blue dress is fabulous!

    xoxo,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute dress! You look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank you everyone! It was a blast!! xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...