Monday, January 7, 2013

Call The Midwife: Reflections of Season One

I first discovered this lovely show, Call the Midwife back in September and finally had the chance to view the first season. The show is based on Jennifer Worth's bestselling novels; the first being "Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950's". She wrote two others afterwards called, "Shadows of the Workhouse" and "Farewell to the East End."

Unfortunately, Jennifer Worth (aka Jennifer Lee-the main character in the series) passed away a year before the show aired but I'd like to think that she would have loved the way the BBC has told her story through television. Her daughters, Suzannah Hart and Juliette Walton reflected on the show and their mother in this lovely article which you can read here.

Set in the 1950's, the series follows mainly the life and work of Jennifer Lee. But Jennifer has three amazing fellow midwives by her side, Chummy, Trixie, and Cynthia. She also works and lives with four equally amazing nuns, Sister Julienne, Sister Evangelina, Sister Monica Joan, and Sister Bernadette. Each has their own story and their own personal experiences that help make them better midwives and women. I love that the show doesn't just focus on Jennifer Lee, although she is the main character, but gives us a view into the lives of the other cast as well.

My favorite characters by far are Chummy and Sister Monica Joan. Chummy is just the ugly duckling and the one that seems to stick out the most for obvious reasons (she is very tall) but also because of her wealthy upbringing. But I love how Chummy defeats all expectations and rises above the judgements of others. We see in the last episode (not the Christmas special) Chummy finding love and getting married! I just loved it! It made my heart sore!

Sister Monica Joan is just vivacious and although she seems to have failing memory she is constantly surprising everyone around her with the things she says. I love her sense of innocence and her wisdom-what a combination!
Is it worth watching? YES! Very much so! I will be honest, the very first episode was a tad bit shocking but that was coming from the part of me that is a mother. It was hard at first for me to imagine women living in those often dirty conditions and bringing a life into that environment. Once I got past that (as Jennifer's character does as well), I felt inspired, moved, and educated on what life was like in the 1950's in that part of England. It also made me feel appreciative to the kind of care and life that I can give to my own children. I truly commend those midwives who played such a vital role in so many women's and families lives.
The Christmas special just recently aired and what a special is was! I hope you can all see it soon and tell me what you thought about it.

The second Season of Call the Midwife will air in the UK early this new year and it will come to the States in March 2012 via the PBS station (one of my favorite stations since I was a child btw hehe). The DVD for Season One is now being sold on Amazon as well as the books by the late Jennifer Worth.

If you are interested in learning more about the midwives from the East End during the 1950's, here is a fabulous and intimate account of one midwife's experience.

Have you seen Season One yet? Did you like it? Who are your favorite characters? Are you looking forward to Season Two?

xox

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing my attention to this show, I had not even heard of it, but it sounds amazing! I will definitely have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you get the chance mama-you will lovvvvvvvvve it! Its powerful stories but like I said in the post-once you get past the shocking stuff you really appreciate the lessons learned-it makes you think and feel and its the 50s so hey its awesome! hehe Let me know if you like it!! xox

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I love this show so much! I can't wait for the second season to come out. I think one of my favorite characters is also chummy.

    Xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chummy rocks! They should have t-shirts that say that heheh Thanks Em!! xox

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of this show before. It looks like so much fun to watch. You know you are the one who got me hooked on Downton! I think in a former life you were a Brit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh Joanna I think you are soooooooo right! xox

      Delete
  4. I love Call the Midwife, too. PBS is my favorite channel besides TCM, HGTV and DIY Network. Can't wait for Season two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhh another PBS fan-whoot! Oh I adore TCM and have a mad crush on Robert Osborne-shhh dont tell my hubby heheh xox

      Delete
  5. YAY! I watch this show too!!! One of my favorite shows!!! It really is a very touching show with tons of life lessons. Just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!!! So neat that you like it too! Now you have to watch Bomb Girls heheh xox

      Delete
  6. Hi. Love that show either, and my favorite character is Chummy too. Maybe because I´m very tall too, like her, and I know just what she feels. I didn´t know it had a second part, and now I´m very happy. I have no idea when it will air here in Portugal, but now I´ll keep an eye on it.
    Oh, I didn´t see the Christmas special... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Susy!!! You will love it! See if you can find links that have it online-just goggle "call the midwife" show links and see what you find! xox

      Delete
  7. My sis and I tried watching it, but we just couldn't get into it. Maybe if they have a recap next year, or whenever, we can try it again. I love period pieces so I was looking forward to it. I just wish America would do more period piece tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me too! But at least we get the Brits!! heheh Americans just arent into that stuff unless it involves a great deal of sex LOL for shame! xox

      Delete
  8. I watched all of season one and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't yet had a chance to catch an episode of this. I was going to one evening, but something came up and I think I saw about twenty second of the intro. :S I adore British period dramas of all kinds though, and will making an effort to try and catch the first season, and the second come March, this year for sure.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do too big time! I hope you get to watch it soon!!! xox

      Delete
  10. Love Love Love Call the Midwife. I watch most of my episodes online. I am so proud to support my local public television station - they send newsletters with profiles of the new shows so I was able to watch right from the very start.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Kathleen! I actually watch it on PBS.org! xox

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...