Monday, September 23, 2013

Bunny's Book Club: Gidget

Summer has come to an end and with that many of us are putting away our swimsuits and taking our our cardigans. A few months ago I came across an article about Kathy Kohner-Zuckerman. In that article I learned that she was the real life Gidget!!

As a little girl I watched many 1950-1970's shows of course along with the typical 1980's shows of my time. But I was particularly fascinated by 1960's shows. One of them being a show called Gidget (1956-1966) with the fabulous Sally Field in the starring role.

From there I eventually watched the film version of Gidget (1959) starring Sandra Dee. I was memorized. A girl like me...surfing??!

Now when I read that article of Kathy Kohner-Zuckerman and I found out that she was the inspiration for the character of Gidget (that was her nickname) and that her father wrote a book based on her summer surf stories...well I knew I had to learn more. And better still, I knew I had to read the book!
I read it in one sitting! Oh boy was it neat! Written by Frederick Kohner, I was left in awe that a middle aged man actually wrote this book! The character of Gidget is spot on with that of an average teen aged girl and he just wrote her so authentically.

The book reads like a journal you are immediately sucked into Gidget's world of lazy summer days, beach boy bums, and life as a fifteen year old girl. What I enjoyed also about the book is that it also included photos of Kathy during her time as a girl surfer.

Here are some fabulous photos of Kathy aka the real Gidget:
Although there were some female surfers in Malibu, CA during the 1950's, Gidget was still a one of a kind sort of girl. Being so young and so petite it wasn't easy at first to grasp the sport of surfing let alone carry the darn surf board. But she managed and she also managed to inspire her father to write his book which in turn inspired many young girls to try new things and never give up on something they love.

This is Kathy in more recent years. She has picked up surfing again and although she is 72 years old she does it to not only keep in shape but also lends her name out for charities as well. I mean she is the real Gidget after all.
Sandra Dee and Sally Field on there respective roles as Gidget. Love them both!
Kathy and Sandra Dee on the set of Gidget in 1959. What a neat photo this is!!??

I found no better way to saying goodbye to the summer than by reading Gidget. It also made me feel invigorated and sentimental as I immersed myself into the book. The character of Gidget reminded me of being a young girl again.

And although I have no such desire to ever be a teenager again in this lifetime, I was reminded how sweet and innocent and full of daydreams those days were.

Have you seen Gidget the movie? Or the show? Have you read the book? You can find a copy of it here. And tune in tomorrow for a Gidget sized Giveaway hosted by yours truly!!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great beach read! Your link on where to find it is broken, but I found it easily on amazon and added it to my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear-going to fix that now! Thanks Brandy! xox

      Delete
  2. I love that this book is biographical in nature. What a great topic! I haven't watched a Gidget episode in years and years. A great review dear Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna!!! Its such a great read! xox

      Delete
  3. Hi Bunny, thanks so much for your comment on my post! I know it can be tough to meet other vintage-loving people, but there are a ton of events always going on. I have the recurring ones listed on my blog but I'm going to start keeping better track of everything on the Facebook. Thanks again for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree! I will keep an eye out for your fb page! xox

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...