Saturday, June 16, 2012

Special Weekend Cinema Spotlight: Modern Films with Classic Twist

"Peggy Sue Got Married" (1986)


I wanted to do something different with my Weekend Cinema Spotlight for this weekend. I know that not everyone is a fan of black and white films or even Technicolor, so I thought why not put together a list of modern films with a classic twist. For those who do love the lifestyle and fashions of the past but not necessarily the style of which classic films are presented.

The first is Peggy Sue Got Married which is set in the 1950's mostly and stars Kathleen Turner and Nicholas Cage. Peggy is transported back in time during her High School reunion and tries to change her present day life by altering her past.



Another film set in the 1950's is Grease (1978) which stars John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  Throw in some greasers, pink ladies, and some great songs and oh my do we have one of the best modern musicals seen on the big screen!



Speaking of musicals, who doesn't love Annie??! And of course I mean the original from 1982! Annie is set in the 1930's and it stars Aileen Quinn and Albert Finney. Aside from the fantastic musical and dance numbers the costumes are outstanding and you get a real feel of what life could have been in the 1930's.



I know The Notebook is a favorite among many people and I found the novel to be as delightful as the film for sure. Set in the 1940's it stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. With the 1940's as its backdrop this romantic tale is about love discovered, then lost, and then found again unexpectedly.



One last film that I think fans of the past would enjoy is Hairspray! Sorry for another musical but I am sure you can tell I love them LOL Hairspray (1988) or Hairspray (2007)--either or and you are bound to learn how to dance the mash potato and learn some new groovy words. And if you ever have the chance to see it on Broadway-I highly recommend it!

Some other films that you might be interested are:
There are many, many more out there and this list is very small but I hope this helped those who aren't fans of classic film find some enjoyment in modern films with a classic twist!

xox







4 comments:

  1. Great selection, there are some here I haven;t seen so I'll put them on my list!

    Penny Dreadful Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found some "new" movies! Yeah!! Happy to help Penny!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grease was one of movies that I believe helped embed a lifelong passion with the 1950s in me when I was a little girl (that, along with A League of Their Own, which sealed the deal with the 40s!), and over the years I've probably seen it 50+ times. I know just about every word by heart, but still enjoy watching it periodically, singing along to each and every toe-tapping, timelessly fun song. :)


    Oodles of hugs & cheerful wishes for the week ahead,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heheh I sing along too! Love it mama!! xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...