Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pinup Girl of the Month: June: Rita Moreno


Rosa Dolores Alverio was born on December 11th, 1931 in Humacao, Puerto Rico. She moved with her mother to New York City at the age of five and adopted the surname of her step-father, Edward Moreno.

She began dance lessons shortly after her arrival with Paco Cansino (Rita Hayworth's uncle). By the time she was eleven she was lending her voice to spanish language version of American films.

Her first Broadway role was at thirteen and in 1954 she was on the cover Life Magazine (impressive I think!!!).

At the age of thirty she landed the role that would win her an Oscar~ West Side Story. She was fustrated to be offered only ethnic roles before she got the part of Anita and unfortunatly she continued to be offered sterotypical roles afterwards.


But that didn't stop this gorgeous actress, pinup, and performer. She is FIRST Latina to win an Oscar (1962), a Grammy (1972), a Tony (1975), and a Emmy (1977)!!!!!! She also won the coveted Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago in 1985.


Not only has Senora Moreno contributed to film and Broadway but also to educational television. For those of you who remember the 1970's she was a part of the main cast of The Electric Company for PBS (love that channel!!). 


On the personal front, Senora Moreno was in a long term relationship with Marlon Brando. And in 1985 married Leonard Gordon who passed on in 2010. They had one daughter together named Fernanda Luisa Gordon-Fisher and two grandsons, Justin and Cameron Fisher.

At the youthful age of eighty she is still performing on stage and on the small screen. Mrs. Moreno along with Chita Rivera are still kicking their heels and strutting their stuff on Broadway!

I don't know if Senora Moreno feels that she has done it all in her lifetime but she should feel very accomplished and at peace knowing there are so many Latinos who have been inspired by her and who strive to go against the sterotypes that society has placed on them. She succeeded when no one thought she would simply because of hard work, determination, and passion!!!!

This will be my final Pinup Girl of the Month on my blog since I will begin spotlighting Actors/Actresses. After I spotlight the person I will then dedicate my weekly Weekend Cinema Spotlights to that particular Actor/Actress. But have no fear! I will begin spotlighting pinups on this amazing blog called Pinup Style. So look for my Pinup Girl of the Month posts on there!!!

Spotlighting all of these amazing pinups was a lot of fun and hope you head over to Pinup Style and read my spotlights there as well. *smile*

xox

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I always really enjoy it when you spotlight a yesteryear celebrity, be they pinup or actress. Rita is every bit as gorgeous and beguiling today as she was decades ago (much in the same vein as Sophia Loren).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it wasn't mentioned in the post, but are you by chance any relation to her? You both have similar coloring and are very beautiful. And you both are pin ups. Just asking. I'm sure it's a silly question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow talk about a woman who got even more gorgeous with age!! What a natural stunner. Her name sounded very familiar to me, and when you mentioned West Side Story and Marlon Brando, it all clicked.

    Looking forward to the actors/actresses you highlight! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Omg Sean I wish heheh She is my namesake-the reason why I picked Moreno as a part of my stagename :) Thank you though!!!! Huge compliment *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS INFO And in 1985 married Leonard Gordon NOT 1985 WAS WRONG IT'S 1965

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...