Friday, August 12, 2011

Weekend Cinema Spotlight: Breakfast at Tiffany's


"Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961)


With my 6th year Wedding Anniversary just a week away, it made me get in the romantic sort of mood. I started thinking, "what films do I find romantic?" I thought of a few but then this one came to mind. A true classic, don't you agree?
The always classy Hepburn

 The movie was loosely based on a Truman Capote novella and set in the heart of New York~Manhattan! Its a girl meets cat meets boy meets girl kind of story. It stars the ever so handsome George Peppard who you may remember as Col. John "Hannibal" Smith from the 80's show The A-Team. And of course the incredibly elegant Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly.

Audrey Hepburn Circa 1950's


First let me begin by sharing with you why I love this movie. Aside from the fact that I get to see Audrey show her sexy self on screen, I also get some eye candy with George Peppard. I also love how its set in New York City~you get the feeling of city life during that time which is always an enjoyable thing especially for a native New Yorker such as myself.

I enjoy the fact that this is a modern LOVE story. Paul, George's character is a boy toy to an older socialite who keeps him living comfortably while he struggles with his writing career. Holly is arm candy to wealthy men who pervide the funds to have a posh lifestyle. What is so wonderful is that they both first find friendship with one another. They make a  true and deep connection knowing that they are both living lives that are not authentic to themselves.

Mickey Rooney as the disgruntled neighbor.

Another part of the film I love but of course others may find it not PC (politicially correct), was Mickey Rooney's performance as a annoyed neighbor of Holly's who is Asian when in fact Mickey is actually American. I find his performance to be hilarious. You really can't take it too seriously and that another aspect of this film that is so enjoyable. It blends the seriousness of love and fear of commitment with light-heartiness.

You see, Holly because of her past feels unable to commitment to anyone or anything. Even her cat hasn't been named because she just can't commit to being its owner.

Audrey Hepburn singing "Moon River" as Holly Golightly


When Holly sings "Moon River" it both breaks your heart and makes you understand a little bit more the deep sorrow and longing her character has. Its simply enchanting!

Audrey Hepburn and her little black dress at Tiffany's!


This film is also iconic for both Audrey's little black dress and her love for all things Tiffany's. I mean who can blame a girl! Marilyn Monroe said it best, "Diamonds are a girls best friend."

Believe it or not but I have never and I mean never been to Tiffany's! Should I put that on my bucket list? I don't think I need to look at millions of dollars worth of gorgeous jelwery that I will never own.  But I could always try and get a picture in front of Tiffany's as a "Breakfast at Tiffany's" inspired photo. Thats always doable and the awesome part is that New Yorkers wouldn't even notice little ole me dressed up as Holly Golightly. Just gotta love New York! You could be seven feet tall with purple hair and wings and people would walk right past you. Ahhhhhhh...love it!

The climax of this film is when Holly trys to run away with a wealthy man and leaves Paul behind because he told her that he loves her. Holly goes into an alley with her nameless cat and releases him into the wilds of the New York City streets. When Paul tells her some truths she runs back for her beloved cat-----she finds him---Holly and Paul kiss---and oh the rest is blissful romantic history!

Final scene of "Breakfast at Tiffany's"


Its not a tear-jerker romantic film but it makes you think about love, life, and why do we the things we do. It made me think about the decisions I made in my life on the romantic front and I can honestly say that one of the best decisions I made in my life was giving my husband my phone number! I am so glad he called because we have not been apart since! Ahhhhh love is in the air!!!

xox

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn.I have a collection of her movies on DVD and the first picture you posted of the movie I have a poster of it in my bedroom. She was truly a wonderful human being. I wish more celebrities acted with such grace and humanity like she did.

    Have a wonderful anniversary. Mine is next week, 17 years.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica! Mine is next wk too heheh Yes she was so graceful-I, too wish more celebrities were like her-or just people in general! Hugs! xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...